4/13/2014

Juggling Books

No, not, like, LITERALLY juggling them. I am sure as heck not throwing them around. With my hand-eye coordination, that would be disastrous on so many levels. I'm talking about reading more than one book at a time. "Juggling."

Way back in the day, I was super strict about reading only one book at a time. I didn't really have any reason to read more than one book at a time. I didn't have a Kindle, or a Goodreads goal, or a blog with people waiting for me to review their book. I just...read. (I also didn't really have anyone to discuss all the bookish awesome with, but that's a story for another time.)

Back in the very beginning of my blog, I still kept it to one book at a time. I can multi-task with the best of 'em (actually, I can't...but I can sort of hold my own), but when it comes to books I like to have each story separated in my mind, and it helps to only read one at a time. That way, worlds and characters and plot points and whatnot don't get all jumbled in my cranium.

Somewhere along the way, however, I started reading more than one at a time. I don't even know when in particular I started this, but it's a general thing now. So I not have specific books for specific things.

A book for class: And by that I mean "required reading." I'm not in an official English class this year, because I've been a year ahead in English since eighth grade, but I AM taking a class called Literary Genres. It's a really fun class, and it does involve some reading. And play-watching. And movie-watching. And stuff. I like it. So this is the class the requires my reading this year, and I'm cool with it. We've read some pretty school stuff this year. That said, I don't really count this with the other books. Not really. Because I don't CHOOSE to read whatever book is included in this. I just CHOOSE to read the book and not fail the class.

A print book: This is the book I read in classes that aren't Literary Genres. Or Calculus. Because it is virtually impossible to do anything except pay lots of attention in that class. Unless I want to be totally lost, that is. But other classes? Like astronomy and psychology and the two finance-y classes I'm taking that are kind of a piece of cake? I certainly do spend some time reading in those. And since I can't read my Kindle in those classes, it helps to have a print book at the ready.

A digital book: This is the book I read at home and on the bus and at my brother's house and literally everywhere but at school. Because I have that handy dandy Kindle app on my phone, so I make good use of it. And goodness knows I have a bunch of unread books stacked in my room...and organized in boxes in my room...and all over the gosh darn place. But I actually have MORE books waiting to be read on my Kindle than I have littered around my room. So I'm always trying to ease that TBR pile down to a manageable size. Which will never happen. But that doesn't mean I don't try. :)

The weekends are my only issue in this whole situation. Because on the weekends I want to read BOTH my digital book and my print book. So I usually finish up both then. Like this weekend--I plan on finishing A Tale of Two Centuries on Saturday, and then Don't Look Back on Sunday. BOOM.

With my different-books-for-different-places plan, I still try not to read more than three books at once. Which is really two books at once, because we're not counting the book for class, remember? This has actually been working for me. I try to differentiate even more by reading different genres in different formats. Like now--I'm reading the YA time travel of awesome in digital and the YA mystery in print. Both romantic. But both very different. I should have literally NO problem when it comes time to sit down and write my reviews for these books.

So...that's how I juggle books. Do you do any book juggling? If so, how do you handle it? If not, why? Have you considered it? I know it doesn't work for everybody. It definitely doesn't work for me all the time. Like when I'm on break from school. Or during exams, when I have virtually no time to read at home. So let me know! I'd love to see what others' views and opinions are on this. :)

http://justabooklover.blogspot.com
 

2 comments:

  1. Like you, I never used to juggle. Until I got my Kindle. For some reason that opened up my reading world. I almost always have a print book and a Kindle book going at the same time. And THEN I added audio. I walk for exercise, which is a great time to listen to a book. As is driving. So now I sometimes have three books going at the same time. But really, it was getting that Kindle that did it. I wonder why...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ALWAYS been a book juggler. :) Even when I was in elementary school I read multiple books at a time. When I was in high school, and college (English Lit major) I was constantly reading 1-4 books at a time for school, and still reading 1-3 books at a time for myself. It's always driven my family and friends crazy, but it's just how I roll!

    ReplyDelete