Short Story Blurb: Jump
If you were told to jump off of a bridge would you? Perhaps it would depend on who was doing the asking. Our heroine has spunk and a sense of humor, however suffers from an extreme case of inappropriate clothing. When things take a turn from dangerous to worse what will she do when fantasy becomes reality? Warning: May include hot leather clad men, singing and demons.
Author BioJennifer Wylie was born and raised in Ontario, Canada. In a cosmic twist of fate she dislikes the snow and cold.
Before settling down to raise a family, she attained a BA from Queens University and worked in retail and sales.
Thanks to her mother she acquired a love of books at an early age and began writing in public school. She constantly has stories floating around in her head, and finds it amazing most people don’t. Jennifer writes various forms of fantasy, both novels and short stories. Sweet light is her debut novel to be published in 2011.
Jennifer resides in rural Ontario, Canada with her husband, two boys, Australian shepherd a flock of birds and a disagreeable amount of wildlife.
1. How about some fun stuff to start off with? Favorite color? Black Drink? Rum and coke :D Food? Chocolate Novel? That is a really hard one, I have soo many favorite authors, never mind books. It really depends on the mood I'm in. When I'm in a twisted frame of mind I love Theodore Sturgeon. I also love everything by Michelle Sagara. I love books that make me feel, that are funny or make me cry. Character from any book? I love strong characters- wimpy female leads just tick me off. I hate stupid characters. LOL However I strangely love characters who've had everything gone wrong, lost every and are sad and desolate as well. Let us not forget our strong, warrior type hot men too :)
2. Jump is your first official published work. Can you tell us a little bit about this short story and the characters? How did you come up with the idea?
Jump is a short and everything happens very quickly, so you don't learn too much about the characters, in fact you don't even learn any real names. Our female lead is strong, sassy girl with an attitude (which I like!) The short is based on the phrase “If someone asked you jump off of a bridge would you?” I'd just gotten off the phone with my parents and had heard the normal bout of lectures and advice. This phrase popped into my head... and then the story came rushing in.
3. Who is your favorite character and why?
My favorite character in Jump is my MC. She is smart, sassy, creative and has a wicked sense of humor.
4. Not only do you have Jump coming out December 15 by Echelon Press, but a book titled Sweet Light also, can you tell us how it feels to be a published author now?
I'm still bouncing. (Yes literaly) I will also occasionally let out a 'squee!' for no reason. I don't think I've stopped grinning either. Becoming published was one of those dreams you think about, yet deep inside it seems so unreal and improbable. Not that I didn't think my writing was any good, however finding someone in the publishing industry to READ it can be quite the challenge!
5. Can you give your fans a little on your upcoming book? Who is the main character of the story and what obstacles does she face?
Sweet Light takes place in a fictional world with magic and swords. My main character is 16 year old Shara, who is an orphan raised in a Healer Hall. She has a rare magical gift of Healing, however at the time of the story it has yet to manifest. She has spent her youth learning the use of herbs and surgery and is extremely intelligent. However she is also very shy, the typical follower. When she gains Journeyman status she accepts a position in the barbaric northern kingdom as a court healer. When war breaks out shortly after her arrival things begin to go wrong. She is sent to the front lines and later seperated from the army. Happening upon a wounded soldier in the forest, every mile back to the capital is a struggle, and breaking the Healer’s code, she falls in love with her charge.
If Shara thought that to be the least of her troubles, the appearance of a fierce warrior captain who takes it upon himself to be her protector teaches her differently. Trouble comes in threes at the appearance of her former love and fellow healer. Faced with decisions of the heart and the sudden manifestation of her gift leave little room for anything else to go wrong. Of course, a lot more does go wrong, but I don't want to give too much away. :)
6. Please tell us a little about your path to publication.
When I finally decided I wanted to share my stories, edited my book and wrote my query letter, I then began a search for an agent. After almost two years of that, and probably at least 100 rejections I discovered Echelon Press. I first heard of them on twitter, and from a friend. After some research to make sure they were an actual company (yes I did come across a few companies over the years which would publish my book- if I paid them) I sent in my query and was extremely excited when they requested a full MS. A few months later... well here I am. :)
7. You are not only an author, but a mother and wife as well. Can you tell us how you balance all of these things and not go mad? How much time do you devote to your writing during the day?
What? I'm not mad? :D I sneak moments where I can to write. A lot of it I do in the evenings, or this year both boys are in school full time, so try to get some done then. I've learned to write in fits and spurts. I can even write backwards and sideways! (That is another story...)
8. I love the cover of Jump. It’s dark, gothic and the font grabs me, it makes me want to read this story. How did you react when you saw the cover for the first time?
I was super excited, I had a cover!! Then I got sick. It was unfortunate the stomach flu decided to hit very shortly after. Even worse, hub and my youngest got it too- so it was a very miserable evening. (However I'm still excited!)
9. You also have another short story coming out soon, The Forgotten Echo, as part of your Immortal Echoes series, can you tell us a little about this story?
The idea for this story came from a line from a song. It takes place in our world, mostly. However there is also the Otherworld, a sort of in between place. Echoes are people who have died and not passed on, however they are much more than ghosts. They are created by Immortals and serve them for eternity. Echoes can be in both the real world and the Otherworld, they have power and are quite useful to their Immortals. The Forgotten Echo tells the story of an Echo who is created- however her Immortal disappears before telling her what she has become.
10. Is there a plan for a book in the Immortal Echoes series?
Yes, I have chapter one done! I've also written a second short story, about two other Echoes and their Immortal. I'm hoping to fit all of my characters into the book, which will be about an Echo and a Ghost. You can see a few little shorts set in the Echo world on my blog. :)
11. What other projects are you currently working on?
Way too many! :) The sequel to Sweet Light is complete. It is called Dark Madness and I just have to edit it before submitting. I recently finished another short story based on the children's song Ring Around the Rosey, which is also in my 'to edit' pile. I also (haha) just finished a YA book titled Broken Aro- edits are done and it will be submitted soon. I've been working on the sequel to it (no title yet) and the Echo book mentioned above. Short stories I often come popping out of my head at any given moment as well, so I'll probably be writing more of them soon too.
Anything else you would like to say to your fans? Anything we can look forward to in the future from you?
Fans? I have fans? YAY! I LOVE YOU! I would like to thank all of my awesome family and friends (in RL and online) for all of their continued support. Super duper big thanks to Trish (and her mom!) You two have been so wonderful I can't even put it into words! (gasp) To my readers, I hope you enjoy my stories and will come back for more. I'd love to hear from you!
The Forgotten Echo will be released March 1 2011
Sweet Light is to be released in May I believe.
I also have another Jump story, and another Echo story sent in for consideration, so cross your fingers for me! :D
I've had the honor of reading some of Jennifer's works (It rocks to be a reviewer some days!) And Ms. Wylie's writing is fantastic! Thanks so much Jenn for stopping by YA Bound and sharing with us today! I wish you all the best in your success and more! You can find more about her and her writing at these links:
Jennifer's website: www.jenniferwylie.ca
Jennifer's blog: http://jlwylie.wordpress.com/